WALKOUT IN SOLIDARITY WITH STATEWIDE UC STRIKES
AGAINST TRUMP & FOR UC ACTION
20 JANUARY 2017
INAUGURATION DAY WALKOUT
11:30 AM WALK OUT
12:00 PM GATHER AT PRICE CENTER STEPS (by Triton Fountain)
On January 20, hundreds of thousands across the U.S. will march to affirm their commitment to social justice by protesting the inauguration of Trump and his administration. Students, staff, and faculty across the University of California campuses are joining the nationwide call by striking to demand action from the UC administration. As STEM students, we seek to defend scientific integrity and the safety and wellbeing of our community. We call upon our fellow STEM students and workers to show massive support for the strike: walk out on inauguration day!
President-elect Trump’s rhetoric has amplified the racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, and ableism that endanger our most vulnerable communities. His proposed administration is poised to translate hateful language into oppressive policy:
- Vice President Mike Pence opposes LGBTQ+, reproductive, and immigrant rights
- Senior Counselor Steve Bannon openly embraces white nationalism
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is an outspoken segregationist
- Secretary of Health Tom Price opposes public healthcare and Planned Parenthood
- Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin is a Wall Street CEO and predatory financier
- EPA Director Scott Pruitt denies the reality of anthropogenic climate change
We oppose these policies and appointments through strategic and collective action. UC students, staff, and faculty are striking to demand: (1) UC Administration’s denunciation of Trump’s government, (2) sanctuary school status for all UC campuses, (3) Hispanic Serving Institution status for all UC campuses, (4) free education to counteract structural-level exclusion of underrepresented students, and (5) reprioritization of investments and research objectives to reflect a commitment to social justice.
These are the minimal actions that UC administration must take to truly demonstrate UC values.
We walk out as STEM to show the UC administration and the greater public our overwhelming support for the principles of social justice asserted in these strike demands.